1. Not all real estate agents are created equal. When making one of the biggest decisions of your life, this is one fact that you should be aware of up front because you want to be certain you have the best representation available – someone who can guide you through, not only the basics of selling a home, but someone with the experience base to help you avoid the pitfalls and issues that can complicate even the simplest of transactions.
One thing that most people may not know is that there is a difference between real estate agents and REALTORS®. Not every real estate agent can call themselves a Realtor. Although both are licensed to sell real estate, the big difference between a real estate agent and a Realtor is that a Realtor is a member of the National Association of REALTORS® which contains 17 Articles and various underlying Standards of Practice. The Code of Ethics are strictly enforced. REALTORS® must abide by a strict code of ethics and accountability. (You can read the code of ethics here: http://www.realtor.org/node/6669.) Knowing that your representation is accountable to abide by a strict code of ethics and accountability is important and even beyond that there is an extremely broad range of experience and levels of expertise between Realtors.
So the first piece of advice we can give is to do your homework. We’d recommend that you take the time to interview several real estate professionals before making a decision. You’ll learn a lot in the process and really get a feel for who brings the most to the table. Ask about what associations and accreditations each agent may have. When dealing with one of the biggest decisions of your life, you want to be sure that you have the best representation you can get. You can always count on Mr. Philly to give you expert advice and representation.
2. Bigger isn’t better. Knowing the benefits of independent realtors vs. big name firms is key in selecting your agent. Some people think that a big name firm will somehow help them better find their dream home or better sell their home. Big firms don’t mean better service. They don’t give more exposure to a listing or draw from a larger database of homes for sale. They also don’t necessarily have any advantage in terms of service and responsiveness. Often the larger numbers and more hands in the pot mean that things slip through the cracks because agents assume that someone else was handling it. Big name firms don’t automatically mean better trained agents either. In many cases, new and inexperienced real estate agents flock to big firms hoping to learn the ropes before starting out on their own.
3. Time and responsiveness are key factors. If your real estate agent isn’t a full time professional, that should be a factor. Is real estate a hobby for them or a profession they’d like to be in full time? Their experience and time dedication may not be what you need to properly represent you especially in markets like this where the best homes may get snatched up quickly. Mr. Philly is dedicated, full time and we pride ourselves on responsiveness, honesty, hard work and dedication.
4. Beware of listing bias. Many real estate agents push their own listings or their firm’s listings. Some agents won’t even show another agent’s listing or will do so reluctantly if the client is smart enough to ask. You need the peace of mind knowing that your agent is representing YOU, not their listing or the company’s agenda. Mr. Philly treats our customers the way that we would want to be treated. That means really getting to know your needs and then using every available resource to find the perfect home.
5. Experience is everything. Finding the right home or the right buyer for your home is far more involved than creating a listing or searching through listing databases. Furthermore, negotiating a purchase or sale is a learned skill that takes years to hone. Mr. Philly has been in business for more than a decade and comes from a family heritage of realty. Real estate is in our blood and in that time comes a wealth of expertise that has taught us the best ways to market a home for sale as well as how to find a home and negotiate properly. We invite you to meet with us and discover the Mr. Philly difference. It is like having a real estate super agent at your disposal!